Sunday, May 24, 2015

London: Carole King story makes for 'Beautiful' show

Photo by: The Guardian
We arrived back at our hotel from Bletchley with twenty minutes to change and head out for dinner, and our show for the evening, Beautiful - The Carole King Musical . I was looking forward to eating at a restaurant near the theatre that we remembered from a previous visit. Unfortunately, it wasn't very good. The crab cakes were mainly filler. I let that go but when the sole came and had the texture of mush, I sent it back. I wish I'd eaten all my food at Bletchley. Unfortunately, I didn't really have time for anything else before we crossed the road to the theatre.

The music was amazing. In fact I could trace my life from grade school through my early twenties with the songs in the show. The show begins with Carole King selling her first hit, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, when she was 17. It tells the story of her being part of a songwriting team with her husband Gerry Goffin and her relationship with fellow writers Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann, and on to becoming one of the most successful solo acts in rock history. Along the way she wrote countless hits such as You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman, Take Good Care of my Baby, You’ve Got a Friend, So Far Away, It Might As Well Rain Until September, Up on the Roof, and Locomotion.

We thoroughly enjoyed the show and once again at the end we were up on our feet rocking to the music.

No comments: